Rockbund Art Museum
Inaugurated in 2010, Rockbund Art Museum is a contemporary art museum located on the Bund in Shanghai. The museum is housed in a heritage Art Deco building that originally was one of the first modern museums to be established in China. In 2019, Rockbund Art Museum has become an officially registered non-profit arts organization in Shanghai.
Distinguishing itself from the entrenched conditions of continental or nationality based organizations, Rockbund Art Museum is developing an oceanic vision of contemporary art. We aim to explore the importance of seas and archipelagos across Asia in order to unfold richer perspectives into today’s challenges, practices and networks within the art world. We wish to build constructive paradoxes within multiple localities in Asia and different cultures globally, opening spaces to enable free expression for artists, researchers and curators, and to dive into subtle and dense layers of new experiences with our audience.
With a strong reputation for our innovative curatorial approach, we look to conceive different art projects from research to alternative learning programs, from exhibition-making to unexpected para-performative formats. By supporting bold contemporary art practices, we aim to continually remake local histories, whilst also responding to global art challenges and social mutations.
We regard the role of exchange as an essential process required for a wider transformation to occur by building up a network of multi-regional, international and cross-disciplinary partnerships. Through this process, we aim to cultivate a diverse and deep-rooted connection to our audiences, communities, and also different social and cultural organizations. With powerful support from our board, patrons and Advisory Committee, we strive to observe, learn, and search for breakthroughs and opportunities to develop art projects in pursuit of a unique vision of life.
CURRENT AND UPCOMING
- Transient Eternity—101 Ignitions of Gunpowder Paintings
- HUGO BOSS ASIA ART 2019
- RAM HIGHLIGHT 2019: Before the Whistle Blows
- An Opera for Animals
- Tobias Rehberger : If you don’t use your eyes to see, you will use them to cry
- Francis Alÿs: La dépense
- RAM HIGHLIGHT 2018: Is It My Body?
- Lin Tianmiao: Systems
- Walking On The Fade Out Lines
- HUGO BOSS ASIA ART 2017
- RAM HIGHLIGHT 2017: DISPLACE
- Philippe Parreno: Synchronicity
- Song Dong: I Don’t Know the Mandate of Heaven
- Felix Gonzalez-Torres
- RAM HIGHLIGHT 2016 Zhang Ding: Devouring Time
- Tell Me a Story: Locality and Narrative
- Heman Chong: Ifs, Ands, or Buts
- HUGO BOSS ASIA ART 2015
- Chen Zhen: Without going to New York and Paris, life could be internationalized
- Mark Bradford: Tears of a Tree
- UGO RONDINONE: BREATHE WALK DIE
- Advance through Retreat
- Bharti Kher: Misdemeanours
- HUGO BOSS ASIA ART
- From Gesture To Language
- A Potent Force: Duan Jianyu and Hu Xiaoyuan
- Time Traveler
- Paola Pivi: Share, But It's Not Fair
- Model Home: A Proposition by Michael Lin
- Zhang Huan: Q Confucius
- BY DAY BY NIGHT
- 2010 Zeng Fanzhi
- Cai Guo-Qiang: Peasant Da Vincis