Live@RAM: Artist in Residency During "Felix Gonzalez-Torres" Open for Application
Oct 26, 2016 - Nov 13, 2016 00:00 - 23:59
Rockbund Art Museum (Shanghai 20 Huqiu Road, Huangpu District)
As one of its major initiatives towards connecting the museum with the forefront exploration of contemporary art and with the public, RAM is happy to announce the new public program for performative art, “Live at RAM”. Drawing on RAM’s unique spaces and excellent exhibition programs, Live@RAM is dedicated to artists active at the forefront of performative practices – practices involving the use of body, which may otherwise be known as contemporary dance, performance art, sound art, new media, experimental music/theatre, or inter-disciplinary projects, under different circumstances. The program combines a 10-day residency at the museum, which leads to a live presentation to the public in the exhibition spaces at RAM at the end. Coinciding with the museum’s annual exhibition program, Live@RAM provides 3 residencies a year, open to applications from all over the world.
Unlike the black box of a theatre or a white box in a museum, the spaces at RAM combine western and Chinese elements and change as the exhibition requires. These challenges make the performances at RAM so different from those happening on the stage.
Moreover, set in spatial and intellectual conversation with the works of the on-going exhibitions, the performances would enjoy a new, provocative framework which provides enriched experiences and meaning-making of the work itself as well as the exhibition on site. The proximity between the performer and the audience would also enable intensive emotional and bodily interactions between the audiences and the artists, which is a rare challenge in other circumstances.... Read More
How to apply:
- Application deadline is: Nov. 13th, 2016.
- Result will be available on Nov. 18th, 2016.
- Time for residency and presentation will be from Dec 9th to Dec 18th, 2016.
- Only online application will be accepted.
- For the background information of the current exhibition please click HERE, for floor plans of the building please click HERE.
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Files that you submit have to be following the guideline of “Materials to submit”.
- A remote interview might be required for more information.
After all information and conditions are checked and agreed, we will contact you to organize your travel to Shanghai and the residency activities.
A budget of RMB10,000 - 25,000 for production, accommodation and return flight (economy) / train tickets. Extra costs must be resolved by the applicant or third-party sponsorship for which the museum is happy to facilitate the application.
- Equipment: Sennheiser KR200 sound system, projector, screen and gallery space lighting.
- Studio space for research, production and rehearsal
- Support from RAM education expertise and interns
Please note that:
- You may responsible for applying an artist fee from the council of your country with the support from the RAM team.
- You are responsible for obtaining a valid visa. However the RAM team provides assistance and support.
1. Proposal of work to produce/present during the residency at RAM.
A. The concept of your work: what does your work want to express? Please specify:
- how this work is relevant to the latest trends in its field;
- how it is adapted in the unique space of RAM or how it is relevant to the themes/works/context of the exhibition on view and contributive to their content or presentation;
- how it is related to the challenges in contemporary society in Shanghai or China or around the world (optional).
B. Description of the work: the process of research, production and presentation
C.The budget for production and presentation
D.Other materials, conditions or support required
2. Previous works/projects
Upload relevant and most representative files of your previous works (picture or demo) with briefly introduction and relevant media coverage if any.
3. Your biography (Group/collective has to provide full information of each member)
4. Full contact information: phone, email, social media, etc.
Free admission, No need for reservation.